020 8884 1166




Spouse Visas and Fiancé Visas

Would you like your foreign partner to join you in the UK? If so you, they will need to obtain a spouse visa or fiancé visa to lawfully enter the UK. Do you need clear, accurate legal advice on how to apply? If so, we can help!

The immigration rules are lengthy and complex and it is therefore very important to ensure that when an immigration application is made, the correct information and documentation to support the application is made in order to achieve success first time around. It is essential to obtain accurate legal advice before making any type of visa application. There are substantial fees that the Home Office charges (for in-country switching applications) or the British Embassy charges (for entry clearance applications) in order to process a spouse /fiancé/civil partnership visa. Currently the Home Office charges a fee of £810.00 to process such visa applications and the British Embassy charges a fee of £1195.00. In addition, the Applicant is required to make a payment in respect of the Immigration Health Surcharge, which is a contribution made towards the NHS if they are successful in obtaining the visa with the intention to settle in the UK.

To summarise the immigration criteria to be met by an Applicant to apply for such visas are:

  • Partner must be a British citizen or hold Indefinite Leave to Remain

  • Partner must earn at least £18,600 p.a either as an employed or self employed individual

  • There must be documentary evidence that it is a genuine and subsisting relationship

  • Evidence of suitable accommodation where the couple will live following their ceremony

  • Foreign national must pass a relevant English test

  • Where there are dependent children, the financial requirement to be met is higher

The Home Office or British Embassy will generally grant the Applicant a 2.5 year initial visa if they have applied for either a spouse or civil partnership visa. A fiancé visa however is granted for six months so that the Applicant may come to the U.K. in order to marry or have their civil partnership and then following the ceremony, the Applicant may then make an application to the Home Office to obtain a further 2.5 year extension to remain in UK. Before expiry of the initial 2.5 year visa, the Applicant should then make a further visa extension application to the Home Office to request a further 2.5 year extension. After 5 years, the Applicant may apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the U.K.

Furthermore it is possible to rely on other forms of income to satisfy the £18,600 per annum requirement including funds from property rental income, income from investments, stocks and shares/ bonds and also from pensions and savings.

To read more information about spouse and fiancée visas, read our Principal Solicitor’s article for helpful information: http://www.foreignersinuk.co.uk/guides/guides/family-in-the-uk/how-to-apply-for-a-spouse-fiance-civil-partnership-visa.html

Greenfields Solicitors have decades of experience in processing spouse/fiancé and civil partnership visa for clients who have successfully obtained these visas, both from inside and outside of the UK. Our specialist legal team is dedicated to ensuring that clients successfully obtain their choice of visa at the very first time they apply. If you would like to discuss making a visa application,

Call our friendly Immigration team on 020 8884 1166.



Contact Us

+  Greenfields Solicitors
    6 Market Parade
    Winchester Road
    London N9 9HF

+  Tel: 020 8884 1166